The Student News Site of Riverside Prep Middle School

Knightly News

Knightly News

Knightly News

Earthquakes in California

Even though sometimes scientists predict earthquakes in California they can also be wrong sometimes. California is known for its frequent Earthquakes because of its ring of fire.”While predicting earthquakes with absolute precision is impossible, scientists have made advancements in understanding the geological processes and historical patterns that can help estimate the likelihood of earthquakes” According U.S. Gov connect. An Earthquake can happen at any moment, it is unpredictable.

Residents of California should always be prepared for earthquakes. This includes having a kit with essentials such as water, non perishable food,and flashlight. It is also important to have a plan and place.”Additionally, individuals and communities can take proactive measures to mitigate potential damage caused by earthquakes” According to U.S Gov connect.

It is important to have something to connect to the outside world just in case you get stuck. Even when we have scientists who predict when the next earthquake will happen, we should all be cautious when we go somewhere. You can tell when an earthquake is gonna happen is when birds or any animal acts strange. U can feel little earthquakes before the big earthquakes. You can find this on CK-12 foundation.

“In an earthquake, a rupturing fault sends out two different types of waves”. “The fast-moving P-wave is first to arrive, but the damage is caused by the slower S-waves and surface waves” according to ca.gov. Scientists can get early warnings,when the earthquakes are coming it gives out waves which scientists can give warning. People can get warnings before and after earthquakes depending on their location.

“The CISN collects ground motion data from seismic stations throughout California to rapidly and automatically process this data and produce information about earthquakes occurring” according to ca.gov. Estimating magnitude and location is produced indicating that an earthquake has begun shaking. It is not a good idea to have food and water with you because you will have to use the bathroom. It is important to have your phone on when you are at home so if an alert is about an earthquake it can be life saving.

“The Earthquake Early Warning system uses science, state-of-the-art ground motion monitoring, as well as new and existing alerting methods to deliver warnings to people via cell phones before the strongest shaking arrives” according to cal.gov. My shake app is an app that has ground motion and will alert you before an earthquake. Wireless emergency alerts will send alerts when the government announces the earthquake is coming. Android alerts is not an app that you do not need an iphone for it is installed in all androids and will send you early alerts. Earthquakes are public information for the people that  live in California because california is a spot that has frequent earthquakes.

“As the Emergency Management authority for the State of California, the California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) takes a proactive approach to addressing risks, threats, and vulnerabilities to Californians, including earthquakes” according to ca.gov.

For more information and the latest updates on Earthquake Warning California, website: earthquake.ca.gov”

Here are some earthquake emergency kits

You can buy all of this at https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Earthquake-Bag-earthquakes-hurricanes/dp/B0756MV23H?th=1